Black Bean and Zucchini Tortilla Casserole
Chilaquiles is a classic Southwestern casserole that layers soft corn tortillas with beans and cheese (vegan in this case). Adding zucchini and chiles adds to the lively flavors. This recipe makes a nice change-of-pace holiday main dish but is also easy enough to make for weeknight meals. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky. Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
- 1½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed or pureed tomatoes
- 1–2 small fresh hot chile peppers, seeded and minced, or 1 (4 oz) can chopped mild green chiles
- 2 tsp chili powder, or more, to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 (16–20 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 12 corn tortillas, torn or cut into several pieces
- 8 oz cheddar-style nondairy cheese (Daiya is great with this!)
- vegan sour cream (homemade or purchased) or Cashew Cream for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Sauté the onion until translucent. Add the green pepper and continue to sauté until it has softened and the onions are golden.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and seasonings, black beans, and zucchini. Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Layer as follows in a lightly oiled 9 x 13 inch or 2-quart round casserole dish: half of the tortillas, half of the tomato-black bean mixture, and half of the cheese. Repeat.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes, then cut into squares or wedges to serve.
Per serving: Calories: 361; Total fat: 11g; Protein: 19g; Fiber: 12g; Carbs: 50g; Sodium: 550mg
- Here are more easy bean main dishes.
- Find lots more tortilla recipes in A Southwestern Supper.
- Here are more recipes for a Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly Thanksgiving.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.
- Browse more of VegKitchen’s vegan casserole recipes.
This post was originally published on 21 September 2014.